Sunday, May 2, 2010

Ursula von Rydingsvard



Going along with the art form of sculpting, a woman by the name of Rydingsvard caught my attention. She creates these huge sculptures that are very gothic or an older styled sculptures. Many of the pieces she created went up in public places such as Madison Square Part etc. This piece in particular intrigued me, its called Czara z Babelkami. I have not a clue what the name of it means and couldn't find a source to shed some light. However regardless the first thing I thought when I saw it was.. "Beehive!" Then quickly noticing that the "dimples" in my imaginary hive are actually faces.. maybe? Well anyhow they look like simplistic faces that are scattered all round this big orifice of backwards pyramid. It is fascinating that this structure is just completely tiled. From top to bottom, it is sectioned into small squares and I become mesmerized by it.

I believe the size of sculptures are very crucial to how you perceive them. Take a small work of say, a puppy. Now take that image of a small, stuff animal vision and blow it up so that the puppy is now 30 feet tall. I would obviously take them very differently. However I now look at it in a very different artistic manner. When pieces are much larger you can just see more of it even if you must walk around it to see everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment