Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Fred Tomaselli at the Tang



When picking which local art show I wanted to attend I decided on Fred Tomaselli's display at the Tang on the Skidmore College campus. I decided on this because his works are a marvel and they gave him a huge time span for his show. I mean February til June, my god.

The above piece named, Echo Wow and Flutter, is truly a masterpiece, he once again uses his pills technique making this wild piece of art. It is just ridiculous.. I cannot stop looking at it, its freaky. Hes got hundreds of pills, all shapes sizes and colors and also puts eyes on some of them. Seeing this piece in real life was so cool and awing. I think how he creates his art is so creative and the attention to detail is tremendous. I can't even begin to understand where his inspiration comes from, except maybe for some hallucinogenic drugs.

This piece below is one of his pieces where he uses the human form. He has many of these but this one in particular name, Fungi and Flowers, is just so appealing. I mean the mash organs, flowers, butterflies I am so just intrigued. Not to mention he even felt compelled to throw in s downstairs organ.. I don't know whats with the sexual things to artists but this guy gets a pass. Tomaselli, after visiting his show, is truly my favorite artist.

Alright anyway, back to the art.. what is with the head part of this piece. Its like roots of both the flower he is holding and roots from his face connecting. What does this signify? Hell if I know.. the dude uses pills to form acid tripping-like art pieces. It reminds me of the movie Avatar because he is connecting to nature.. literally just like they do with the hair thingamajig. When seeing this piece up close there is just more and more things you notice. It is absolutely insane.. you see a mans' actual upper body, more eyes, a real foot inside of the outer foot I just cannot wrap my head around it.




This next piece has a slightly different taste to it but he still uses his pills. I make it seem like hes taking them.. no hes uses them to create this wild pieces. It looks like a constellation in space somewhere and the piece is named, "Leo." I suppose it is probably based around that constellation. The pills are just so perfect for this type of piece and it looks that much better in person. I don't know where he finds these pills but the color and shapes he makes to connect the stars are perfect.



There were about 20 pieces he had at the exhibition but these were a few of my favorites. I would suggest anyone who has any interest in Tomaselli's work, to go to the Tang and walk around. It would be a worth while trip and you will see how much of a genius he really is. I am by no means an art expert or even a novice but I having seen a decent amount of artwork from numerous dead or recent artists.. this guy stands out and above most.

No comments:

Post a Comment