Thursday, February 11, 2010

Fred Tomaselli



Tomaselli has a different use of medium that I'm used to. It reminds me of gluing macaroni on paper in different shapes, sizes and colors and then painting around it. Of course this is the type of thing you do when you in kindergarten. However it has the same feel, except that is the idea, Tomaselli makes it look like it is actually paint. It doesn't give off the notion that it is pills etc on canvas until someone tells you. Of course this might be because I'm looking at a computer image but still.

He likes to use the shapes of humans, dissected in parts most of the time and animals especially butterflies. One that caught my eye is the one shown below.






He had it on show at The White cube and I believe its called The Eye . It is unique and along with animals it looks like a close up of a snake eye with the black scales around it. The colors are very vibrant and it reminds me of the snake in the Disney Movie: The Jungle Book. The one snake that mesmerizes the other animals and the boy. Maybe that was the inspiration? Perhaps. I also wonder why he uses pills. Is it because they come in many different sizes, shapes, colors etc, but also could look exactly the same if needed. Maybe. Or it could say something about our society needing to take all these. Possibly.

No comments:

Post a Comment